BAGUIO CITY (July 16, 2020) – Baguio City again logged another COVID19 positive Thursday, thus hiking the active cases to 9.
The city’s 55th case, a 50-year old female from San Luis Village, was symptomatic, said Mayor Benjamin Magalong.
Immediately, contact tracing, quarantine, disinfection and medical interventions were launched to arrest any further spread of the disease.
Only on Wednesday, a 29-year old female nurse from Saudi Arabia was added to the active cases here. The female nurse reportedly arrived in Manila on June 30 and returned here on July 4 after testing negative in her swab test in Manila.
She was swab tested on July 14 at the BGHMC after developing symptoms while on home quarantine.
Meanwhile, Baguio City’s contact tracing methodology for the disease continued to make waves catching the interest of the World Health Organization (WHO).
Mayor Magalong presented the scheme before WHO Regional Office for Western Pacific Regional Director Dr. Takeshi Kasai and Country Representative Dr. Rabi Abeyasinghe and Dept. of Health Undersecretary Gerardo Bayugo during the Joint WHO-DOH (Dept. of Health) Visit to the Cordillera Administrative Region on COVID-19 Response at the Baguio Country Club last week.
The visit was part of the WHO’s documentation of COVID-19 best measures being implemented in the countryside to determine best practices that can be learned and shared with the end in view of improving the strategy in handling the pandemic.
Dr. Kasai said the city’s contact tracing system has gained impressive feedback in the country and WHO wanted to learn of its mechanics first-hand in recognition of contact tracing as a key to changing the course of the outbreak.
Artemio A. Dumlao