Probe Launched Over Travel Of COVID19 Cop To Baguio
BAGUIO CITY (May 13, 2020) – Authorities have launched a deep probe into how an officer of the Philippine National Police headquarters, a COVID19 positive, was able come home to Baguio City from the National Capital Region.
Major Rafael Baldado Roxas, 41, presently the deputy chief of the Fingerprint Division of the PNP Crime Laboratory at the PNP National Headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City, who is the latest case of COVID19 in the city, apparently contracted the virus where he came from. He is now confined at the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center.
Baguio City police director Col. Rae Allen Co vowed, “(Roxas) travel from Manila to Baguio is now under pre-charge investigation and if it will be found out that he committed lapses, then the proper disciplinary actions will be taken against him.” The police director promised the police “does not tolerate disregard for rules and procedures from its personnel,” while stressing, “he will face the consequences of his actions, but the focus right now is on his healing and bringing him back to good health.”
Roxas’ home barangay is Dontogan, which was placed by Mayor Benjamin Magalong on lockdown on Tuesday immediately after confirming that the police officer is suffering from the disease.
Magalong said Roxas’ case cannot be considered as a local transmission as he apparently contracted the virus in the National Capital Region.
Co took exception on tirades of policemen given special treatment on travels during the ECQ. “As a matter of fact, the PNP has issued restrictions on the movement of our personnel specially those coming from NCR and these restrictions were self-imposed by the PNP upon the directive of our Chief PNP and our PROCOR Regional Director specifically to prevent these kinds of incidents.”
The police official however begged for “understanding and compassion in this time of greatest need of Major Roxas.”
Roxas, is one among two remaining active cases in Baguio City.
On Tuesday afternoon, eight among the 9 health workers, including two doctors in the city, have been issued a clean bill of health after they were earlier found positive.
All eight were discharged from the hospital Tuesday afternoon while the remaining lone health worker had to undergo still procedures before discharge.
Baguio City had a total of 31 since the first case was recorded late March.
Epidemiologist Dr. Donnabelle Panes said that 19 have earlier recovered so far from the disease with one casualty which is a mere 3.2 percent mortality rate.
There were already 28 recoveries (90.32 percent) here.